When you choose to ditch the single-use plastic water bottles and upgrade to reusable water bottles, you are making a change that is beneficial for a number of reasons. Not only is it healthier for you and helps you avoid toxins and chemicals, but it is also better for the environment and all the animals that live in it.
In our previous blog, we discussed some tips and things to consider when choosing your new reusable water bottle. Whether you are new to the game of eco-friendly products or you have been rocking the reusable water bottle for years, there are many different features and types of water bottles that make your choices a little more difficult.
One thing we wanted to cover in this blog is the material of the water bottle and which is the best option. There are several different material types when it comes to water bottles, and each of them comes with its own set of pros and cons. We don’t expect you to know which material is better, which is why we will tell you in this blog!
At TeaZen®, we offer green tea concentrates that are made with a ton of beneficial ingredients. These green tea supplements are easy to add to your water, tea, or another drink. Just add a dropperful of one of these concentrates to six to eight ounces of water, stir, and enjoy!
While we offer these green tea products, we have another passion — promoting social change to improve conditions for the environment, animals, and people. With your help, we can make a big difference! Even a single person switching to a reusable bottle can stop about 170 single-use plastic bottles from being produced each year. That is a massive impact for one person to be able to make!
So, here we are. Talking about reusable water bottles and helping you decide which type is best for you! In this blog, we will talk about the materials of water bottles.
Reusable Plastic Water Bottles
First off, you should realize that there is a huge difference between reusable plastic water bottles and single-use plastic bottles. Reusable plastic water bottles, such as Nalgene, are made with a hard plastic that is durable and will last you for years. Single-use plastic is the thin plastic bottles that crinkle as you chug your water and end up in the trash when you are done. Those are the types of bottles you want to avoid!
Plastic bottles come in a wide variety of styles. They can be rigid or they can be collapsible, allowing you to find the bottle you need. There are several pros and cons when it comes to plastic water bottles. Be sure to consider each of these points before making your water bottle selection.
- Plastic water bottles are very durable and can withstand many drops without breaking or shattering.
- These bottles are lightweight, making them easy to carry around.
- Plastic bottles are more affordable than other materials.
- There is a huge variety of design when it comes to plastic water bottles, allowing you to find one that fits your style.
- Water can be frozen in the bottle and many are transparent, allowing you to track your water consumption.
- Plastic water bottles are not as durable as metal.
- They are still bad for the environment. Non-renewable resources are used to make plastic water bottles and they are responsible for producing large amounts of environmental toxins during the production process and their lifespan.
- Many plastic bottles include BPA, which is a harmful chemical that can cause many health issues. Even bottles that are “BPA-Free” still contain harmful chemicals, some BPA-free bottles even contained chemicals that were more harmful than BPA.
While a reusable plastic water bottle is better than single-use bottles, it may not be your best choice. This is a great starter water bottle if you are just getting into reusable products. But another material may be a better option.
Reusable Glass Water Bottles
Some people prefer drinking from glass, making this the right water bottle material for them. Maybe it’s the way it tastes purer and fresher, or maybe they just feel more fancy drinking from glass, either way, glass water bottles are another great reusable option. Glass bottles can come in a variety of styles and offer different features. Some are insulated, others have silicone sleeves to help protect them from big falls. They come in beautiful designs, making it easy to find one that matches your personal style. Like plastic bottles, there are pros and cons to glass bottles.
- Glass is a non-reactive material, which means it will not absorb flavors from beverages or chemicals.
- Glass bottles are easy to clean with a bottle brush and can also be thrown in the dishwasher!
- Glass bottles are not lined with sealants that are potentially harmful, meaning you will not be exposed to BPA or other plastic-derived toxins.
- They are transparent, allowing you to better manage your water intake.
- Insulated glass bottles allow for hot and cold drinks.
- Many companies add silicone sleeves to reduce the chances of breaking.
- Glass bottles can be heavier than plastic.
- These bottles are more likely to break when dropped and could shatter.
- Glass bottles are slightly more expensive.
- Most should not be used with extreme temperatures and cannot be used to freeze water.
Glass is a great water bottle option for many reasons. If you, however, suffer from a case of the butterfingers, glass may not be the best option for you. Since these are more fragile, you will not want to use glass if you have a bad habit of dropping things or knocking them over.
Reusable Metal Water Bottles
Most metal bottles are made of food-grade stainless steel, but aluminum is also an option when it comes to metal water bottles. If you are to choose a metal water bottle, we suggest finding one that is stainless steel. There are many different benefits that metal water bottles offer, but like the other materials, there are also downfalls. While there are not as many design options for metal bottles, they can come in different colors and with different features.
- Metal water bottles are much more durable than the other options and can take quite the beating.
- If insulated, metal water bottles can handle very hot beverages, keeping them hot without the bottle getting hot.
- Can keep drinks cold for an extended period of time, even if the bottle is not insulated.
- Metal water bottles are non-reactive and generally made with food-grade materials.
- Metal bottles are also not lined with a sealant that can be potentially harmful.
- Metal water bottles can be heavier than plastic.
- Some may have a slight metallic taste.
- Prone to dents
- If not insulated, metal bottles can get very hot when holding hot liquids.
Metal water bottles are a great choice for several reasons. Not only are they extremely durable, but if you choose an insulated one, you can use it for hot and cold drinks. If you are accident prone, this is the best water bottle choice for you.
So there you have it! Each of these water bottle materials has their own benefits and downfalls, so you have to pick what matters to you and which benefits you are truly looking for in a water bottle. No matter what type of water bottle you choose, just remember that any reusable water bottle is better than using single-use plastic bottles! You are making a positive impact no matter what type of reusable bottle you choose.
Hopefully, these pros and cons lists and the tips from part one of this blog have helped you figure out how to choose the best water bottle for you. There are several different types of water bottles to choose from that offer different features. While the choice may be difficult, who said you only get to pick one reusable bottle! Get one of each for the different activities in your life!
Shop TeaZen for green tea concentrates to add to your new water bottle! By choosing reusable, you are helping us make this world a better place. Contact us with any questions you may have and go buy your new water bottle!
TeaZen is a company – your company — and we are a communiTEA™ of like-minded people who are passionate about “feeling good” and “doing good.” As a Public Benefit Corporation, our purpose is to promote social change that improves human, animal, and environmental conditions. That’s right – we care! Our mission is to create an inspiring e-commerce global social enterprise by providing valuable products and services while improving the world around us. High fives all around, people.